Thursday, December 1, 2011

Thanksgiving continued...

I know it's December today but I still wanted to share the photos from Thanksgiving last week. This Thanksgiving was extra special for so many reasons. It was my sister-in-law's first time hosting, it was the first one my boyfriend was spending with my family, it's one of the few that I spend with my brother, and we had planned a very special surprise for him.

My brother and his wife did an amazing job hosting. Dinner was absolutely wonderful and the table set-up was so beautifully done.


Before dinner, we went around saying what we were thankful for. It was my first time doing this at dinner and made it so much more special. It was so incredibly touching to hear what everyone was personally thankful for and made me that much more appreciative of everything we have in our lives. 

Next was time for my surprise. Since I could not attend my big brother's Bronze Star ceremony the following week, we decided to throw him a ceremony of our own. Just as he was about to take a bite of his dinner, I had the sound of trumpets blaring from an app on my phone as a cue that the ceremony was starting. It was so hilarious to see my brother look at me as if he was going to kill me for having my phone go off during dinner. (He was holding the carving knife as well). 

The look on his face was absolutely priceless when my boyfriend came in to present his award as President Obama, donning the mask and all. That made the silliness of it all so worth it.



 My boyfriend downloaded an app where you can record your message and have it play back in Obama's voice. I'm still laughing just thinking about it.



He presented him with our homemade versions of the Bronze Star and Purple Heart medal and a bottle of Thai whiskey. (I'm sure this is customary). 


God, I love this guy so much and I'm so grateful to have him as my big brother. I am so proud of his strength and valor.


I also stitched him a little Purple Heart pillow and pinned his medals to it. My brother told me that the Purple Heart started as a quilt that people would stitch to comfort the families of the injured soldier, so it was actually sorta fitting that I made him the pillow.

He always has been and always will be my hero.

1 comment:

Bionic Woman said...

This is absolutely amazing!!! I can just picture the whole thing. Sooooo cleaver!!! Thank God for trumpet and Obama voice apps and heroes like your bro! xoxo