Saturday, November 3, 2007

We'll miss you Tomson



I just got the news today that a dear friend of mine was killed in a motorcycle accident in Thailand. There's not much to say that won't sound terribly trite in this situation. Tomson was the biggest free spirit I have ever met (and if you couldn't perceive that upon meeting him he let you know with a tattoo on his arm that said Freedom in Thai) and he always encouraged me to stop being so reserved (and just sleep with him!). When we first met, he flattered me by telling me I was the most beautiful girl he's ever seen (I fall for this every time), and continued to court me in the romantic German way of telling me all the things he would do to me in bed and that he would reserve the most expensive hotel room for us. Sigh. Over 3 years he has never reneged on his offer (a man of his word!). My fondest memories of Tomson are sharing our love for baked potatoes (his with sauerkraut)at the tree top bar, watching him walk the runway at BKK's Fashion week, sharing buckets and dancing wildly at the clubs, and the fact that if I ever wanted to see him I could always find him on Kao San road sitting on the curb or riding his bike. On my last night in Bangkok I finished a bottle of tequila and Tomson rode me back to my guest house in the basket of his bicycle. There we shared our first and last kiss...I don't want to sound terribly cliche but, really, life is short, take the hotel room.

No comments: