Thursday, January 20, 2011

between shit and syphilis

"The most important thing in life


is to stop saying 'I wish'


and start saying 'I will.'


Consider nothing impossible,


then treat possibilities as probabilities."


-Charles Dickens


One of my informal resolutions this year was to try to remain positive. I have a tendency to focus on the negative and then further the problem by dwelling on it. I have been feeling a little stressed out and down lately and last night I literally had to say out loud to myself all of the things I am grateful for. Because, really, in the bigger picture, I live a pretty charmed life. Instead of complaining about my problems, I am going to be productive and do something about it.


Despite my efforts, I still tried to invite everyone I knew to my pity party today. Shame on me. I had to laugh, picturing David Sedaris with his lisp, saying the following quote to me:


"If you're looking for sympathy


you'll find it between shit and syphilis in the dictionary."

No comments: