Wednesday, August 13, 2008

When to drop the B bomb

I was at work a couple days ago when an Asian guy asked me when I was getting off work and what I was doing. I said I didn't know. He said some of his friends were going out. I said where and he said he didn't know yet. I said let me know when you know, meaning walk back to your friends find out and walk back and tell me. It was more of a brush off but if it was a fun party usually I can get my friends to join me. He handed me his iPhone and said, "Here put in your number." I was kind of caught off guard. What could I say? No, I have a boyfriend? But he didn't ask. He just wanted to let me know the plans. No, I don't want to come anymore if I have to put my number in your phone? I didn't know how to get out of it so I put in my number.

I went out with my friends later and saw that I had a missed call from an unknown number. I had no desire to meet up with anyone else and the person didn't leave a message so I just ignored it. The next morning I got a text at 9am from the assumed Asian guy saying, "Who is this." Clearly he was sitting at work the next morning, hungover, and wondering who he made the outgoing call to at 1am. What a retard, I thought, and decided to ignore the text. At noon, probably on his lunch break, he called. I ignored the call figuring he'd hear my name on the voicemail and figure it out. No message. At 2pm he texted me with, "Nevermind, I figured it out." Good job, genius. Now stop texting me. Later that evening I got a call that said, "Hi....uh....oh shit...um...I think this is the girl I met yesterday. Let me know if you want to hang out sometime." Wow, talk about socially dysfunctional. Again, I didn't call back. The next afternoon I got a text from him that said, "Hi, sorry for that awkward voicemail, I forgot your name, but now I figured it out. Let me know if you want to hang out sometime." Talk about persistence and oblivious to the fact that he was digging himself into a hole big enough to fit an H2 Hummer. Again, I ignored the text.

Yesterday, I was talking to a friend and I said, "Hey, remember when you asked me to put my number in your blackberry and I didn't know how to and you looked at me as if I was an idiot?" The point I was making was that he was an intellectual snob. He told me he was aware that people don't generally like having a blakberry shoved in their face but that he had a tendency to forget people's names 10 seconds after meeting them and therefore by asking them to store their number they would also store it under their name as opposed to ABCD. Clearly, Asian guy did not execute this trick as well as my friend did. Whatever happened to the good old name and number on the back of your dry cleaning receipt? My friend, Brittany, always stores her number in people's phones under Your Mom when she doesn't like them and they can never find it. I just figure it's easier to give your number to someone because they typically will get out of your face and stop harrassing you after that and later when they call and you don't answer they typically get the hint.

I got another text from Asian guy this morning inviting me to his birthday party. I texted him back with, "I temporarily forgot that I have a boyfriend. He doesn't want me coming to your party."

No comments: