Friday, June 19, 2009

Online support

I write this post with a heavier heart than usual. I received some upsetting news yesterday while I was at the internet café, checking my email. I sat there, staring at the screen, at a loss for words, tears welling up in my eyes. I learned that one of my dearest friends is going through a very rough time back at home and it kills me that I can’t be there to hold her hand. She is by far the strongest person I know and I know she will always land on her feet, calling me after wards with a funny story or a lesson to be learned. Her invincibility never ceases to amaze me so it’s not that I’m the least bit worried about her. I guess it just seems unfair to me. Why is it that bad things always seem to happen to good people? I hate that there’s nothing I can do, on the other side of the world, to take away her pain or ease her fears. The best I can do right now is believe in her, as I always have, and stand by her, if only in spirit at the moment.

Everything in my life seems so trivial in comparison; the boys, the parties, and deciding which bathing suit to wear for the day. The past few months, with all the change that’s taken place in my life, I’ve taken all that I do have for granted. I’ve forgotten to reflect each day and be thankful for the people in my life. My dear friend has been such a solid person in my life, always there with a proverbial iron to smooth out the wrinkles in my life. I am lucky to have her as a friend and while my ironing skills are crap, I have and endless supply of support to offer.

1 comment:

Kim said...

sometimes others' struggles help put our own in perspective.

i hope your friend's situation gets better soon.