Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Pre-trip Diary: Reading List


On my last trip to Thailand, about two years ago, I packed five books. I finished two during the 21 hour journey and the other three in two days of being in the countryside with my mum. I like to keep my books too, so by the end of the three month trip I was toting a really heavy backpack. I've been toying with the idea of putting books on my iPad but I still having warmed up to the idea of e-books. What will I read on the beach where the sand is so fine and sticks to absolutely everything? What will I do when I run out of batteries and there's no socket? I decided to compromise a little bit since I definitely don't want to be stuck at my grandma's house without a book. I bought some paperbacks for the beach, and added books to my e-library for the times where I don't have to worry about sand or water getting into my iPad. 

I've been having to restrain myself from reading the books that I bought before the trip, but I caved and read two already. I saw a movie preview for The Help by Kathryn Stockett and couldn't wait any longer.   It's a beautifully written book, told in 3 different voices, of life in Mississippi during the 50's. I hope the movie is just as good. I also finished Girl In Translation by Jean Kwok. I just wanted to hug this book. It's been moved into my top five all time favorites list. I've never read a book that I could relate to more about being an Asian immigrant in the US. Kwok touches on how immigrant children have to grow up quickly and take on adult responsibilities because their parents don't speak the language, and the sacrifices that a parent makes to give their child a better life. I highly recommend both. 

So the rest of my reading list includes two paperbacks and three e-books.

  • Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart
  • History of Love by Nicole Krauss
  • Bossy Pants by Tina Key
  • Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson
  • The Paris Wife by Paula Mclain
I figure I could always download more while I'm there if needed. Have you guys read any of these? Do you have any other recommendations? I am so looking forward to lazy beach days, curled up in a hammock with a book. 


No comments: