Wednesday, December 19, 2007

A spinster for life?

With so many people getting married lately I can't help but wonder if there's something wrong with me that I'm not even close to being engaged. Don't get me wrong, I have no desire to get married in the next few years, if ever, but I guess I'm just wondering why the offer has never really been on the table, if say, I did ever want to get married. I'm content right now but I'm worried that say when I am ready in a few years...the offer wouldn't be out there because I'm not "marriage material." I've heard of labels like "not the girl you bring home to mom"...could this be me? I asked my brother, since he recently got married, and knows me better than anyone else, if this was the case. While he claimed to not know what "marriage material" really entailed...he told me that I was a bit "difficult to understand." How could this be? I mean my blog is like an open journal for all to see. What's not to understand? He said perhaps he worded it wrong. You're "complicated" he said. "You not a typical American girl," he further explained,"you're exotic." Exotic girls don't get rings? "You're intimidating," he added as he seemed to be digging a deeper hole. Could this have anything to with my all-black wardrobe and my "go fuck yourself" snarl? I tell him I'm worried that perhaps I'm not girly enough. Or not the Martha Stewart domestic-dumb-flirty-live by The Rules type of girl enough. He tells me being more girly and flirty could help. I can totally do that!- I tell him- Starting today! Like Awesome! He tells me he said be flirty, not blonde. I can picture him sitting at the computer shaking his head with his hand on his forehead as he tells me we need to sit down and have a serious talk. Uh oh.

No comments: