Sunday, March 30, 2008

On dating- Book nerd standards:

The article, It's Not You, It's Your Books, in the Times this Sunday talking about how people's choice in books could be a dating deal breaker was pretty on point.

From the article:
“Manhattan dating is a highly competitive, ruthlessly selective sport,” Augusten Burroughs, the author of “Running With Scissors” and other vivid memoirs, said. “Generally, if a guy had read a book in the last year, or ever, that was good enough.” The author recalled a date with one Michael, a “robust blond from Germany.” As he walked to meet him outside Dean & DeLuca, “I saw, to my horror, an artfully worn, older-than-me copy of ‘Proust’ by Samuel Beckett.” That, Burroughs claims, was a deal breaker. “If there existed a more hackneyed, achingly obvious method of telegraphing one’s education, literary standards and general intelligence, I couldn’t imagine it.”

I agree with Burroughs- if a guy reads he's definitely got my attention (so I guess my standards are pretty low at this point). So far, I haven't had book deal breakers- aside from guys who say, "Uh, I hate reading, it's so boring," or something along those lines. Barf. Why don't you just tell me you eat glue for fun and walk away.

No comments: