Sunday, August 16, 2009

Summer Reading

I spent the past 3 months in Thailand which meant plenty of time spent reading in a hammock. It also meant that reading material was a tad limited (and a bit all over the place) since I didn't have much money and mostly obtained books by swapping. Here's what I've read so far this summer.

French Milk by Lucy Knisley
J'adore, French Milk! Beautifully illustrated, I loved the facial expressions that Knisley drew. I admired her relationship with her mother and empathized with her anxiety of an uncertain future. Of course, I loved viewing Paris through Knisley's passionate perspective. (ps. I cannot wait to go to Paris!)


Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
I just love graphic memoirs and read this one in two hours. I got to peak into the heartbreaking story of a childhood in Tehran and picked up a few historical facts along the way. Intriguing and, again, beautifully illustrated.


Marley and Me by John Grogan
I picked up the book because I was curious what the hype was all about. I watched the movie and enjoyed it mainly because I have a strange attraction to Owen Wilson's crooked nose and nasally voice, and the puppy was just so damn cute. I am not sure how this book was a bestseller for so long. Sure, Grogan's love for his dog was endearing. Reading anecdotes of your dog's life is just about as enjoyable as when your mommy friend calls you to tell you all the things little Johnny is doing. Read: not enjoyable unless you are the owner of said animal or said child.


Second Chance by Jane Green
I haven't read a chick lit in a while and found Second Chance thoroughly enjoyable. While predictable, it served its purpose as an easy, fun read. It’s a story about a group of friends reunited after a friend’s death. This story reminds the reader how your life really can change in a split second which forces you to take a closer look at your life and reevaluate the choices that you’ve made.


To Have and To Hold by Jane Green
As you can see I went on a little Jane Green binge. I figured I enjoyed the first one and my friend had a collection on her bookshelf. I didn't enjoy this one at all. It was, again, predictable but this seems to be Green's style. I found the main character, Alice, pathetic and unrealistic. I wanted to reach through the pages and wring her neck.


The Beach House by Jane Green
Third time's the charm? Much better than To Have and To Hold but not as good as Second Chance. Fun, easy read.


The Man of My Dreams by Curtis Sittenfield
Despite the title, this is not another chick lit. From the author of Prep and American Wife, a novel of the female version of Holden Caulfield, disappointed by all of the men in her life and the world in general. The synopsis of this book asks; At what point can you no longer blame your adult failures on your messed-up childhood? Is settling for someone who’s not your soul mate an act of maturity or an admission of defeat? And if you move to another state for a guy who might not love you back, are you being plucky–or just pathetic? Life doesn't seem to get any easier as you grow older. I highly recommend this one!


Backpack by Emily Barr
This one is by far the worst book I've read this summer and I'm going to go as far as to say ever. How was this ever published? I thought this book would be fitting since it's about an English girl backpacking through Asia. The narrator, Tansy, is so bratty, bitchy, and ignorant that I wanted to throw out the book after the first few pages but my friend told me it gets (slightly) better. (And I didn't have another book at the moment). The climax, atrociously placed at the last 20 pages of the book almost seemed like an afterthought, as if Barr said to herself, "Wow this novel is turning out to be quite boring and pointless. Why don't I throw in this random ridiculous, and unfitting plot to jazz it up." I thought to myself, "There is no way she's going to go there with this story," and then she did. The ending made me want to hurt the author in the most violent way.


Why He Didn't Call You Back by Rachel Greenwald
I picked up this book because I wanted to see what my competition was in the dating advice book category. Greenwald breaks it down into 10 different types of girls and explains why the guy didn't call you back from the things you said or the actions you made. I've never been a "Rules" girl. I do what I want, I say what I want, I'll call when I want. I always claimed I would never change myself for a man. "Take it or leave it," I would say, "You need to love me for who I am." Greenwald explains that when you are on a first date, your date is taking in all the details, everything you say, and is deciding whether or not you are someone they would want to see again. The more time someone spends with you, the more they would get to know the real you. Hence, your main goal, which is to get more dates with this person. Greenwald encourages you to be true to yourself and not change who you are. But she tells you how to change a few small things you may be doing or saying that is breaking the deal.
I quickly read through the first few chapters. "Blah, blah, blah," I thought, "this is so extreme. Who acts like this? This doesn't pertain to me at all." Then, I got to Reason #6, The Flasher. Rut row. This was me to a tee! Greenwald describes, "The Flasher divulges negative personal information about herself on a first date, often without realizing it. This is typically labeled, 'baggage,' and it lands with a thud on the 'con' side of the inevitable pro/con list he is tallying for you in his head in real time." Eeeeeyikes! Ladies, this is a must read! Not to be followed like a bible, but these small change do make a difference. Now, if only I can find a date to test out my new dating tips on!

What have you read this summer?

4 comments:

Teach.Workout.Love said...

nice! those look really good! ill have to [ick up one of them!

Anonymous said...

Since my split with the ex, I have become "the flasher" without even realizing it until my last date pointed it out.

It then inspired him to put all his cards on the table. And whoa! Definite deal-breakers in there. And it's HARD to shock me.

But I am sooo grateful he told me right off the bat and let me decide for myself if I was ok with it.

But it also explained why he still wanted to see me after I got wasted on our first date. So it confuses me. Is a guy who is OK with my skeletons and demons good enough for me? Maybe I want them to have some problem with it. If they don't, is that a sure sign they're more fucked up than me?

-Britt J

Nina said...

Britt, he could be more fucked up that you. Or maybe he's just that into you.

NB, I would only recommend the first 2, Man of My Dreams, or the dating one. : )

Anonymous said...

BTW, my entire summer summer reading list has been Palahniuk. Not exactly helping my sanity, but its making insanity sound so much more fun.
I tend to be entertained by sick and disturbing with a twist of humor. If you like the same, I'd highly recommend him.

-Britt