Saturday, February 23, 2008

When Little Boys with Big Egos Met Nina

Ah the ongoing debate: Can men and women be friends? Just friends? I have always been a believer that yes it is possible for a guy and a girl to be just friends as I have many male friends who I've never dated and never will. Do they want to sleep with me? I'm sure if given the opportunity they wouldn't turn it down. But I'm also quite sure that if given the opportunity to sleep with 98% of women, they wouldn't turn that down either. So it's not that they're friends with me, pining away for the day we would fornicate, but just that they would take the chance if it was an option. Boys will be boys.

Lately though, I've been wondering if everyone else is right and I've been wrong all along. That it's just not possible. I had a friend, a so called friend, that I met through work. From the very beginning I made it very clear in numerous casual conversations that I had a boyfriend. And, no, it wasn't those situations where I was like, "I have a boyfriend," wink, wink, giggle, giggle, coy suggestive look, but I'm keeping my options open. No, never, not once. We've hung out a few times- those casual, "Hey, a bunch of us are going out for drinks, you want to join us?" hangouts- and the said friend admitted, after a few Jameson's on the rocks, that he had a little crush on me. I replied, with a sympathetic head tilt, "Listen, I've told you from the beginning I have a boyfriend and frankly I've never given you any reason to think that I was interested in you. If you can get the image of you and me between the sheets out of your head, I'd love to continue to be friends because I think you're wonderful, but only as a friend." While, he distanced himself a bit after this confession, I thought we had squashed it, and after he got over his embarrassment and bruised ego we would resume our friendship.

Over time our friendship deteriorated to the point where he was outright mean to me if he wasn't busy ignoring me, and recently I learned that he was telling mutual friends that the reason he doesn't like me is because I was pursuing him and he wasn't into it. Wow. Really? I'm glad that you're 30 something years old and never picked up some maturity along the way. Seriously? GET OVER YOURSELF! Rejection happens. If I went around whingeing and dwelling over every man who didn't return the feelings I'd be- well- I'd be almost as pathetic as you are.

No comments: