Sunday, August 8, 2010

500 Days of Summer



I finally saw 500 Days of Summer during one of my sick days. I love watching movies without having seen previews or knowing the storyline because I have no expectations. I remember hearing some say, "Don't watch it. It's so sad," and others saying, "It's refreshing to see a real depiction of relationships and not the romantic stuff that never happens in real life." The plot is summarized as "an offbeat romantic comedy about a woman who doesn't believe true love exists, and the young man who falls for her."

My roommate didn't think it was realistic, that not many girls would be as disinterested in finding love as Zooey Deschanel's character. Aside from not believing that anyone would turn down someone who looks like Joseph Gordon-Levitt and dressed in cute vests and ties like his character, Tom Hansen, I thought the movie was a great depiction of love and heartbreak. I loved the scene where Tom was dancing in the streets after having sex with Summer for the first time. Who hasn't unknowingly smiled the entire day and wished they could high five everyone who passed them after great sex with a crush? And after a bad day where he's on the streets in his bathrobe after buying whiskey and ding dongs and he yells at the couple holding hands to get a room. Who hasn't wished happy couples could disappear for your sake and only allowed to return when you're having a better day?

And I loved the line where Tom's little sister tells him, "I know you think she was the one but I don't think she was. I think you're only remembering the good stuff." It is much easier to get over someone when you take off the pedestal glasses and admit that it wasn't perfect. Ok, I won't spoil any more of the movie for you. I'll just say that I think it's a great movie for anyone who has stopped believing in love. Relationships aren't all kissing in the rain and riding off in the sunset. You're bound to get your heartbroken at least once and chances are you're only remembering the good stuff.

No comments: