Monday, May 24, 2010

Eat, Pray, Love

I was watching Oprah today (I'm unemployed, I watch a LOT of Oprah) and Julia Roberts was on the show talking about Eat, Pray, Love, the movie, that's coming out in August. I'm so excited to see this movie. I remember when I read the book I was in a toxic relationship quite similar to the one the author, Liz Gilbert, was in with David. I remember crying and crying after I reading that she finally walked away from that relationship because I knew I had to do the same with mine. This book really hit a spot with me because it speaks to everyone who's ever been through a heart break, given up on love, or forgotten who they were.

So on the show, Oprah asks each of the cast members where is their Eat, Pray, and Love place. James Franco who plays David answered California for all 3 because his favorite sandwich shop is there, his family who are his prayers, and his girlfriend. While watching the show I wondered what was my Eat, Pray, Love?

I thought definitely my favorite food in the world is Thai Food and there's nothing better than street food in Bangkok. There's too many dishes to pick from but a childhood favorite that I can rarely find in the states is Kao Mun Gai, chicken rice. And I have some strange addiction to eggs in every form. The other day I have half a dozen (in one day!). Gotta get my cholesterol checked for sure.



I do almost all of my praying when I am in Thailand as well. I don't know many temples here in NYC and I feel out of touch with the religion because I don't really know many other Buddhists. Because the country is majority Buddhist I feel much more in touch with my religion and have much more access to temples when I am in Thailand.



For some reason, I tend to fall in "love" every time I am back in Thailand. Perhaps it's the romantic beaches, or the gorgeous foreign men, or the fact that I let my guard down when I'm on holiday but I always leave there with fond memories of a tan, shirtless man sipping mango shakes with me on the beach. Mmm. Also, when I eventually meet someone, Thailand is where I'd like to get married.



So, like James Franco, my Eat, Pray, Love can all be found in the same place. Perhaps I should be booking a ticket back?

What and where is your Eat, Pray, Love?

No comments: