Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Open by Andre Agassi



About 2 weeks ago I finished reading Andre Agassi's memoir titled Open. I had picked up the book for 3 reasons. 1) I was told that Agassi had devoted a chapter to and a friend of mine. 2) Many raved about it. 3) It was finally available in a much more compact paperback.

I was impressed with the book right from the first few pages. I had expected a book about tennis (which I have very little knowledge) but it was about so much more than that. Agassi writes about family, pressure, drive, and a search for his identity outside of everyone's expectations. Most men I know who've read it thinks he whined too much. Typical of men, no ability to sympathize. I admired how vulnerable and honest his voice was, an obvious play on words for the book's title. I highly recommend this book.

(PS- I even developed a new interest in the sport. US Open anyone?)

No comments: