Monday, October 12, 2009

Make a connection, pick up the phone

One of my "codes" of blogging (yes, I'm channeling Dexter. Only difference between us is that he kills bad people and I kill people with bad writing.) is that I try not to write about my dating experiences in real time. It's out of respect to the guy but also because blogging about current dates always affects the relationship. I'm going to break this code juuuuust this once though.

A friend recently put on her facebook status:

Tip for my male friends: when you exchange info with a woman, your first contact should not be text. pick up the phone and make a human connection/effort. you are not diddy--you have the time. trust me


I couldn't have agreed more or said it better myself. The past few times I've given my number to someone, they have all followed up with a text saying "Hi" or "What are you up to?" What ever happened to calling someone? I hate going on a first date without really having ever talked to someone aside from the 15 minutes at the bar while the guy is working up to getting my number.

Also, Guys, if you want to ask a girl out, don't ask via text. Call her. Even worse is when I get a text on Saturday that says, "I'll be out tonight, let's meet up." Negative points if it's followed by, "Bring your friends." What are we in college? How about calling a girl and asking her out on a proper date like, "Hey let's do dinner on Tuesday," or, "Let's grab drinks after work tomorrow." Bonus points if you already have a place in mind. It shows that you're confident and that you've put some thought into a place you think the girl might enjoy.

Speaking of dates, I was watching Sex and the City reruns at my moms last week and the episode where Big calls Carrie to ask her to go on a first "real date" was on. It got me thinking, when was the last time I've been on a real date? What constitutes a real date? I've met up for drinks or met someone out at a party but I haven't been taken out to dinner in quite some time. In fact, I can't even recall the last date I was on.

When was your last "real date?" What did you do? What do you consider a "real date?" So many questions!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I wish I could tell you when my last real date was. It's such a sad situation...me & dating.

Anonymous said...

Hello from Russia!
Can I quote a post "No teme" in your blog with the link to you?