Friday, June 27, 2008

Blinded by narcissism

A couple days ago I ran into this guy that I went on one date with in college. It was interesting to see him. I mean, it was obviously a surprise, but it wasn't all that awkward since it had been years ago. I remember while sitting across from him at dinner, 5 years ago, that I thought he was attractive but only from the front. When he turned his face to the side it was almost like seeing a different person, someone who leaned closer to the unattractive side. Seeing him now I still felt the same way. I remembered dinner being pleasant, we had some things in common, he laughed at my jokes, and he thought I was great which, it seems now, might have been his best quality, the only thing he had going for himself. While standing at the bar catching up with him all I can think is how the hell did I sit through an entire dinner with this guy? He made the lamest, dullest, most irritating jokes, if you can consider something not even remotely funny a joke. After saying something so fucking lame he would make such a big production to throw back his hands and look you in the eyes and stress that he's "KIDDING!" On top of that he asked me a bunch of questions about myself, which you can rarely go wrong with that, except he would ask me something, I would answer, and then 3 minutes later he would ask me the same damn question in all seriousness. While that may have been one of the most frustrating conversations I've had, it makes me feel reassured that I'm still single because clearly I have very, very bad taste.

No comments: