Thursday, January 22, 2009

Another Dating Don't: Speaking!


Well, that would be the advice for me at least. As I've blogged about before, I tend to reveal waaaaaay too much on the first date covering all the "stay away" topics of religion, politics, and Spring Break tales. One of the bullets from Judy McGuire's article, Dating- what not to say when, was, "When dating someone new, don't share too much personal information." Shit. With so much personal information readily available at the click of a button, is that even possible? McGuire describes:

-- Between the Internet, blogging, and social networking, the concept of courtship can seem pretty antiquated. Depending on how Web-present you are, with the push of a button a guy could potentially access everything from your videotaped colonic to your SAT scores to mortifying details of your most recent heartbreak. All this before you've even met him in real life.

I feel like I'm almost obligated to address the elephant in the room on the first date. "So, what do you do? Where'd you grow up? What'd you major in? By the way, you know how I said I wanted to poo on my ex-boyfriend's front door? I was just joking really. I mean, I wouldn't really do that." Heh. Heh. Heh. *Uncomfortable laugh.

McGuire says on the first date you should "think of yourself as a director... and cast him in the role of aspiring ingénue. He needs to impress you. Ask questions. Listen to his answers." Now that's a novel idea! I tend to get really nervous when I meet new people that I try to sell myself by talking non-stop about...myself. All this time, why have I automatically put myself in the hot seat? From now on I'm gonna be the one asking the questions around here. "What do you think of my new shoes? Do you like my dress? Do you wanna hear a really funny story?"

No comments: