Wednesday, May 20, 2009

May 12: the rain calms me

5 AM Watch the sunrise from my bed. The sky is a pretty shade of orange, the sun just peeking above the mountain.


I work out for a bit, hoping this will relax me.

6 AM I get dressed, take a walk down by the dam by myself. Grandma’s dogs follow me. They’re like 2 little boys running around, wrestling, looking back every few steps to see if I’m still following them.




The road is still unpaved but they’ve fixed it quite a bit. It used to be full of gaps and holes and we’d have to cross over on makeshift planks. They also built a new bridge to cross over the dam.

I’m feeling much better taking out this bit of alone time, watching the dogs chase frogs by the water. (They’re just like me, always chasing frogs).


I walk back to our farm where the statue of my grandfather stands. I say a quick hello.



10 AM The rain starts again. It’s pouring and the sound is so loud we can’t even hear each other talk over it. The well downstairs starts to overflow so mom has me carrying pails of water to the well in the bathroom. I definitely wouldn’t waste the water here, knowing how much work it takes to fill up the well. I’m soaked by the time I’m done so I throw on my bathing suit and take a shower outside in the rain. It felt amazing. This rain day is exactly what I needed. The fan blowing on my damp skins feels great.



Mom also showers but she doesn't want her hair to get wet so she puts a pot on her head.


I think I’ll take a nap.

Did pretty much nothing but stare out at the mountain for the rest of the day. My nap was awesome.

6 PM Watched some Thai “Lakohn” (soap operas) with Grandma. Can hardly follow. It’s pretty bad.

7 PM Watcht the 7 o’clock news with Grandma. Again, can hardly follow. They talk so fast. Must brush up on my Thai. The news stories were pretty amusing. It’s so funny the stuff that they don’t edit out.

There was a story of 2 foreigners, 1 American, 1 Norwegian, who died from some sort of poisoning on Koh Phi Phi. I was planning on going there. Hope mom didn’t hear the story. The lectures would never end.

No comments: