Sunday, May 3, 2009

NYC, I love you, but we need to take a break

In 3 days I’ll be taking a mini break from NYC to regroup and recharge my batteries (and get a tan while I’m at it). This past month, NYC definitely kicked my ass, chewed me up, and spit me out. I had almost let it break my spirit as it did for Julia Wertz in this little excerpt from her clip in Missbehave Mag, Issue 11:

I’d allowed all the jobs, all the moving, and all the failures to obscure the things that New York had given me. It had given me a book deal, freelance gigs, perspective, and delicious pizza. I realized that where San Francisco was like having a big warm hug on a foggy day, New York was a swift kick in the balls when you’re already down. I was ready to suck it up and fight back.

I realized that even though New York is a bitch, sometimes a bitch is just what you need.


NYC’s ass kicking left me bruised with a temporary memory loss of all that it had given me and all I still want to achieve here. It had given me crazy, amazing, talented friends, awesome stories, drive, confidence, and most importantly my New York- Go- F-Yourself attitude. I used to have my desk face the window with my 29th floor view to remind me that I live in this city for a reason and I’m not leaving until I own it. So I will be on a mini…let’s call it sabbatical…but fear not, I will return. And I’m gonna kick you right back, Bitch.

No comments: